Are you looking for a review of Strider balance bike? Then you have come to the right place as we provide you with everything you need to know about Strider the best balance bike that also happens to be the most popular in the market right now.
The Strider bike company was founded in 2007 by Ryan MacFarland a father of a two year old son who needed to share his passion for riding bikes with Bode his two year old son.
The History of the Strider Bike
Ryan was a man passionate about everything to do with bicycles and bought and tested everything from training wheel bikes. tricycles, ride on toys and even a motor cycle equipped with training wheels for his son.
But as he observed Bode try to work with these machines he realized how hard it was given their complexity and the fact that they were too heavy and large for a child his age. Moreover, he knew that balance was the most essential skill for bike riding and none of these offered that. He had to either wait for several years for the son to develop the fundamental skill or build a better machine which he did.
The First Strider Bike
Ryan stripped sanded, chopped, welded and cut component’s to his on’s 12 inch bike until he had what would be the prototype for the first Strider Bike. It was a perfectly sized machine that allowed Bode to have both his feet on the ground and the fact that it was simple and lightweight was a boon. The boy immediately took to the bike and his skills and confidence and bike grew in leaps and bounds within a few days.
It was then that people started noticing the Strider and found it interesting that Ryan thought maybe other people would love something similar. Macfarland established Strider Bikes in Rapid City in South Dakota and has since then gone on to sell more than 3 million balance bikes in more than 75 countries.
Why Should You Buy a Strider Balance Bike?
You should buy a Strider bike for the reason that since 2007 it has undergone rigorous development, testing, observation, and manufacturing improvements. With a mission to built efficient, lightweight all terrain bikes that help develop coordination, two wheeled balance and confidence in children, there is no better bike that allows your child to easily and successfully transition to a pedal bike.
Given that Strider specializes in balance bikes, they have the best in class technologies and innovations. Strider has developed an easy Four Learn to Ride step by step progression guide that takes the kid from knowing to nothing to moving as soon as you set up. Strider provides a bike that is good for a child of 18 months all the way up to 5 years old.
Strider specializes specifically in Balance Bikes and in the process the company has developed enhanced features, including the lowest seat in the industry. With Strider’s Four Learn-to-Ride steps, children can jump on a bike and get moving as soon as the bike is set up.
The best thing about Strider Bikes is that they:
- Are easily adjustable and can fit a wide range of child ages
- Comes with an ergonomic frame design that makes the bikes easy and comfortable to ride
- Are super lightweight as they do not have too many components
- Have narrow saddles, grips and handlebars for small bodies
- Come in a variety of colors and are widely available
Why You Should Get a Balance Bike?
The balance bike makes it easy to teach kids how to balance and steer on two wheels without needing training wheels. Given that a balance bike does not have pedals or other complicated modes of propulsion, the child will find it easier to ride a balance bike.Moreover, they can always place their feet on the ground at any time which eliminates the fear of riding.
Some of the reasons to get a balance bike include
- They are Easy to Use – Balance bikes do not come with pedals thus allowing the kid to focus on balance which makes the process easier.
- They Build coordination and strength – The design encourages the use of arms and legs in moving forward and this helps fine tune agility, coordination, motor skills and also build up strength.
- They are a Safer Way to Teach Riding – Since the seat of the balance bike is much lower than that of a regular bike, the kid will not have as far to fall. Moreover, they will only go as fast as the child pushes off thus reducing the risk of high speed crashes.
- They Make for a Fun Exercise – Riding a bike is a fun way of getting kids moving to further adventures and balance bikes make this possible for children as young as one and a half years.
- They are very convenient – As a parent, these bikes are small, lightweight which means they are easy to pop into the backseat and transport to the park where the child can ride while you read.
- You get to skip Training Wheels – Since balancing is one of the hardest things to do a balance bike helps the kid learn to ride faster than training wheels would so that they can then transition to pedals.
Strider 2-in-1 Rocking Bike Review
The Strider 2-in-1 rocking bike is a popular bike that your little can hop onto as soon as they can stroll and have the primal instinct to explore. It combines either a Strider 12 Sport balance bike or a Strider 12 Pro balance bike with a Strider Rocking Base for balance bikes to make the 2-in-1 bike. The bike is great for teaching spatial awareness, improving cognitive ability and dexterity and teaching balance. Once the kid masters rocking you can simply detach the bike and they can start rolling away.
Other than sleeping, eating and going to the toiler, one of the best things you can do with your kids is to create bonds with toys. The Strider Rocking bike makes it possible to develop these bonds before they leave the house and head for the rough and tumble of the neighborhood streets or the park. Since it comes with padded cushy seats, an extra long seat post and foam tires, the bike will last for years.
With the base attached this bike can be used for children from 6 months right up to 18 months. Once the child graduates, they can use their Strider Sport or Strider Pro until they are five years old when they can graduate to the Strider 14X Sport bike which has a provision for pedals.
The Strider 12″ Classic balance bikes is an entry level bike that comes without the custom saddles and grips of the lighter and more expensive models though it does provide the confidence and comfort that your child needs. The bike is made for children between 18 months right up to 3 year old children and helps kids transition from striding to coasting as they learn the handling and balance skills that they would need when they graduate to a pedal bike.
The sturdy frame of the balance bike is complemented with footrests for gliding, adjustable seat post, flat free tires and brake mounts so that you can install a rear brake to keep things in check one the child starts to become better at coasting.
Why You Should Get the Strider 12 Classic Balance Bike
- Helps the Kid Learn to Ride – The bike is an unembellished Strider which makes it excellent for children that want to get into the pool but cannot handle the cannonball just yet. It is a budget friendly bike that can go on all manner of terrain and take a lot of punishment on the road given its no-flat tires
- Grows with the Child – The handlebar and seat heights can be adjusted and will accommodate children between the ages of 18 months up to 3 years.
- It is Made for Young Children – At only 6.7 pounds or 3 kilograms, the 12 inch Classic push bike makes it easy for the girl or boy to stride or ride. The built footrests make it easy for the kid to learn how to glide or balance.
- Provides Years of Fun – The bike will last for years with its puncture proof tires, and durable steel frame which can take a lot of punishment without easily getting damaged.
Strider Bikes believe in making bikes that help kids develop the courage to face up to whatever challenges come their way. This is why the Strider 12 Sport Balance Bike is the ultimate vehicle for your kid starting at 18 months. Your toddler is at this time craving adventure freedom and is ready to ride and this is just the bike to encourage them to experience the thrill of riding even as they develop their coordination and confidence very early on.
The Strider 12 Sport Balance bike will introduce your kid to the power, freedom and responsibility of riding. They can now keep up with you when you are out riding and you no longer have to deal with those annoying kid leashes or heavy strollers. The kid can now get to enjoy all the freedom they can get before upgrading to pedal bikes.
Why You Should Get the Strider 12 Sport Balance Bike
- Designed for Kids – The lightweight bike which weights in at just 3 kilograms comes with mini grips so that the child can take control of their bike and learn how to stride or ride in no time.
- Grows with the Child – The Strider Sport comes with a wide seat height range of between 11-19 inches and inseam lengths of between 12-20 inches. It also comes with an extra long seat post and a padded cushy seat that is adjustable meaning they can ride their bike for years. You can also make updates to the bike including installation of heavy duty tires and foot brakes.
- Become a Member of the Strider Family – This is the bike that revolutionized bike training for kids. Get to enjoy teaching your kids how to ride without training wheels even before they are out of their diapers.
- Get Years of Fun out of the Bike – Kids put their bikes through a lot of punishment and the 12 Sport balance bike is made for that,. With its puncture proof foam tires, you do not have to worry about maintenance or that the child will outgrow the bike since it has adjustable seat heights and wide range of in seams.
The Strider 12 Pro balance bike is the best balance bike out there. We all know that kids wants to get dirty and go fast and to do that they need to have the appropriate tools. The Strider 12 Pro is designed for kids that are ready to challenge the world by going fast.
The Strider 12 Pro Balance Bike is made for your little mitts with its ultra light weight frame that is hardly more than 5.6 pounds. This makes it a high end bike for your little speed demons that crave freedom at their fingertips and the wind in their face. With performance footrest, your kid is going to be spinning all manner of tornadoes when you head to the park.
Why You Should Get the Strider 12 Pro Balance Bike
- Inspire Your Kids Freedom and Mobility – This is just the bike that is designed for toddlers as any kids that can walk can ride a balance bike. With this bike the kid gets to learn confidence and coordination and improve their balance.
- Kids Get to Mater Riding Very Early – The simplicity of a Strider Pro balance bike provides an easy, safe and natural transition to a pedal bike. With this bike you can get your little girl or boy to learn at their own place and they get to learn balancing on two wheels from as early as 18 months old.
- Advanced Model with Great Features – The 12 Pro Balance bikes have custom features including the frame which is made of aluminum alloy and high performance design that gives you a warranty of at least two years from the date of manufacture.
- Adjustable Seat and Upgrades Included – The bike comes with an adjustable XL seat post in addition to the standard seat post (lasts between 18 and 36 months). With the adjustable seat post your child could ride the bike to between 36 and 60 months.
The Strider 14X Sport Balance bike is designed to provide instant success. It combines the essential ingredients to the child which enhances their confidence as they shift from riding a balance bike to become pro with a pedal bike as soon as possible.
The 14X Sport provides your kid wuith the freedom and confidence as they ride how to ride a bike designed for beginners. Parents also get to see their child develop and grow right in front of their eyes. The great thing about the 14X is that it starts out as a balance bike and then as the kid gains balancing ability and confidence, pedals can be easily attached onto the bike.
Not to worry if the kid is growing up too fast as the 14X Sport can be easily converted from a balance bike to a pedal bike easily and in no time at all. The conversion tool also comes with a wrench to scrw in the one bolt and the coaster brakes are also easy to install. This allows the kid to coast or ride around the neighborhood to satisfy their newfound thirst for adventure and confidence.
Lastly the bike comes with a step by step guide that allows the parent to help their children master the progress from striding to coasting and finally pedaling.
Why You Should Get the Strider 14X Sport Balance Bike
- Instant Success – The kid gets to become a pro as fast as possible since they get the courage and confidence from striding and coasting in their bikes. Since they have the balance needed they can quickly graduate to bike pedals with confidence
- Convert to Pedal Bike – The 14x Sport balance bike can be easily converted into a traditional pedal bike even though it usually comes as a push balance bike. Once the child is ready to make the move, all you need to go is purchase the Easy Ride conversion kit that allows you to upgrade the bike into a pedal bike.
- Grows with the Child – If the child is growing up faster than a weed then you need to get the Strider 14x Sport. With its adjustable handlebars and seat it can accommodate in seams of between 16-23 or children between 3-7 years. This means that the bike will always fit.
- Made for Kids – The lightweight aluminum alloy frame weighs at most 12.5 pounds without the pedals making it easy for the child to maneuver and control the bike. The footrests are also good as the child will have a place to place their feet as they learn to glide and balance before getting their pedals.
- Made to Last for Years – With its durable frame, the bike and very few components that need maintenance or repair, the bike will last for years. The rubber tires are all adventure and maintenance will be a breeze.
How to Measure Your Child’s Stand-Over Height
- What size should you get for your child? The best bike size is what fits them from the measurement of their inseam.
- What about age? Age tends to be an approximation of fit as compared to in seam which is exact.
- What is an inseam? This is the distance between the crotch and the ground.
- What is the importance of the inseam measurement? People tend to have different shapes and heights even at the same age. By measuring the inseam you get the perfect fit for a child.
How to Measure an Inseam
- Have the child stand up straight with their back and shoes against the wall.
- Place a book between their legs and then slide it up until it hits the seam of the crotch in their pants.
- Measure the length from the top of the book to the floor to get the inseam measurement.
Strider vs Woom Balance Bikes?
I have had my kids ride both the Woom 1 and the Strider and I have no clear cut answer as it will depend on what features you are looking for. In some instance the Woom will be better value while in others the Strider is the clear winner.
Is usually recommend the Strider as the best balance bike since it is cost friendly adjustable and can last for a long time making it great fro fast growing or particularly tall kids. If you need something premium which comes with the features of a regular bike then you should maybe consider the Woom 1 as it comes with air inflated tires, and brakes though these can also be found in the Strider 14X Sport Balance Bike.
The Strider bike is built for children between 6 months all the way up to 5 years old. This can vary depending on the model selected with some Striders such as the 14X accommodating children aged between 3 and 7
Strider Biikes are great starter balance bikes with their ideal geometry, lightweight frames, ease of riding and for the most part being maintenance free. It does not hurt that they also do not cost so much to buy
You can put pedals on the Strider 14X Sport Balance bike but models such as the Sport and Pro are not designed to be used with pedals.